- COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 1 AM THURSDAY
- HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING
- HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING
About JennyThis author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Jenny has created 458 blog entries.
September 27, 2023
Lifeguards are on duty today at the 96th Street Beach.
September 26, 2023
September 25, 2023
The Stone Harbor Beach Patrol has lifeguards on duty today at the beaches at 83rd, 95th and 100th Streets.
September 24, 2023
September 23, 2023 – High Tide Photos, approx. 4:00 p.m.
Third Avenue in the low 100s.
93rd Street and Sunset
Street and Sunset
111th Street at Nuns Beach
110th at the Bay
103rd and Sunrise
High Tide at the Bay
94th Street and Sunset
98th Street and Third Ave
96th Street near Bridge
93rd Street and Third Ave
September 23, 2023
September 23, 2023
From the National Weather Service:
COASTAL FLOOD WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING
HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EDT SUNDAY
HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING
* WHAT…For the Coastal Flood Warning, one to two feet of inundation above ground level in low-lying areas near shorelines and tidal waterways. For the High Surf Advisory, large breaking waves of up to 9 feet in the surf zone. For the High Rip Current Risk, dangerous rip currents.
* WHERE…Atlantic Coastal Cape May, Coastal Atlantic and Coastal Ocean.
* WHEN…For the Coastal Flood Warning, until 8 PM EDT this evening. For the High Surf Advisory, until 4 AM EDT Sunday. For the High Rip Current Risk, through Sunday evening.
* IMPACTS…At this level, widespread roadway flooding occurs in coastal and bayside communities and along inland tidal waterways. Many roads become impassable. Some damage to vulnerable structures may begin to occur. Dangerous swimming and surfing conditions and localized beach erosion. Rip currents can sweep even the best swimmers away from shore into deeper water.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…With the long duration of onshore winds expected, the back bays may struggle to drain during low tides. This could result in minor to moderate coastal flooding lingering after high tide. Additionally, minor flooding is possible again with the Sunday afternoon high tide.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… Take the necessary actions to protect flood-prone property. If travel is required, do not drive around barricades or through water of unknown depth. Inexperienced swimmers should remain out of the water due to dangerous surf conditions. Swim near a lifeguard. If caught in a rip current, relax and float. Don`t swim against the current. If able, swim in a direction following the shoreline. If unable to escape, face the shore and call or wave for help.