9425 Third Avenue
The Rev. Canon Dr. Peter B. Stube, Priest in Charge
Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church is a community of faith that believes in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, that worships together, learns about our faith together, and serves the community in Jesus’ name. Empowered by our common worship, we serve the needs of the homeless through our two outreach ministries, The Branches and This ‘n That Thrift Shop. We have a growing youth and children’s ministry and seek to make the Sunday experience truly multi-generational. All are welcome to come join us to worship and serve God.
The following Sunday Services are regularly scheduled:
- 8:00 am The Holy Eucharist, Rite One.
- 9:45 am Church School and Nursery.Children join the 10:00 am Service at The Peace.
- 10:00 am The Holy Eucharist, Rite Two with Choir.
In 1909, when Stone Harbor had a small summer population, and when the town was virtually deserted in the winter, a number of summer residents organized Sunday services conducted by various vacationing Episcopal clergy. During the following year, a realty firm donated a plot of land and the cedar-shingle frame structure was built. On July 2, 1911, the small church was dedicated and for many years was known as, “St. Mary’s-by-the-Sea.” Over the years St. Mary’s grew into a parish and was incorporated in 1967. In 1990, when the original gold opaque windows were replaced with magnificent stained glass, the Rev. Robert Runcie, then Archbishop of Canterbury, made the dedication. On this festive occasion, the Archbishop also accepted honorary membership into St. Mary’s Men’s Club- and was presented with the official Men’s Club hat. St. Mary’s is a very welcoming community. A New Member Ministries Team extends the hospitality of the parish and incorporates new members into our community of faith. St. Mary’s is an active community. Parishioners lead through elected membership to our Church Vestry. Members serve as Lector, Eucharistic Ministers, and Acolytes at our Parish Services. We share monthly covered dish suppers while enjoying fun and fellowship.
We also share community life through these groups:
- St. Mary’s Choir- Your voice is welcome.
- St. Mary’s Church School- Nursery through grade eight.
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Women- Social, service.
- St. Mary’s Men’s Club- Fellowship, service, spirituality.
- St. Mary’s Prayer Group- Prayer and study of the Bible.
- St. Mary’s Youth Group- Middle school age and above.
- St. Mary’s also serves Stone Harbor by providing the site for:
- Weekly AA Meetings- Tuesdays 8:00 pm- Parish Hall.
- Weekly Alanon Meetings- Fridays 10:00 am- Parish Hall.
Please call the Parish Office at 368-5922.